Holy Tornado

To see the soul of your comrade listen carefully to his music.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

EASTER LILY'S


When we were kids, my sisters and I took many walks up the wooded hillside behind our house in search of trilliums, which we callled Easter Lily's. They bloomed at Easter time so the name fit. We brought our mother many bouquets of these beautiful wildflowers, most were white but some turned pink as they aged. I have since learned that they were used as a medicine by the Native people many years ago.

Since the morel mushrooms began poking their crinkly brown heads through the fallen fallen leaves at the same time these wildflowers were blooming, we brought many back for mom to cook. She was very particular about cleaning them and soaked them in a salt water solution for at least an hour to get rid of any bugs, then when she decided that they were clean enough, she would get some kind of fat hot in her black cast iron frying pan over the wood cookstove.
The mushrooms were first coated in flour, then dipped in an egg wash and before hitting the frying pan, they were rolled in finely crushed soda cracker crumbs, fried till golden brown and piled on a plate. Yum!
If you've never tasted them, you don't know what you're missing!

With Spring just around the corner, I know the mushrooms and Easter Lily's are nearly ready for picking, and my thoughts are drifting to those wonderful days when I could run up and down that hill just like a young mountain goat.
The old path is long grown over with brush and it looks much steeper now.
I'm not sure I could find the special mushroom patches, or if they are even there. But I know where there are some and I don't have to climb a hill to get there either.

When I have spent a day in the woods I will post pictures of my findings.
 Posted by Picasa