Holy Tornado

To see the soul of your comrade listen carefully to his music.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

ROCK OF AGES

Here is an interesting account of the inspiration for a dear old hymn.

"Caught unawares by a sudden downpour in Somerset, UK, the Reverend Agustus Montague Toplady, who was born in 1740, and became a Calvinist preacher, took shelter in a mighty cleft of rock in the face of a large cliff of limestone connected to Cheddar Gorge.

Rain storms
in this area can last a long time. Sitting for hours he had nothing to do but study the rock around him. Inspired by the place he found shelter, and obviously with devine guidance, he composed the hymn, Rock Of Ages by writing the words on a card he has in his pocket.

"Rock of ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in thee;
Let the water and the blood, from thy riven side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure, cleanse me from it's guilt and power.

Not the labors of my hands, can fulfill thy laws demands,
Could my zeal no respite know, could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone, Thou must save and thou alone.

When my pilgrimage I close, Victor o'er the last of foes,
When I soar to worlds unknown, and behold thee on thy throne,
Rock of ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in thee.
 Posted by Picasa