Holy Tornado

To see the soul of your comrade listen carefully to his music.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

Tomorrow I am having a visitor from Seattle. I don't see my cousin often, but we were very close as children. Until he and his twin brother were about nine I called them both 'Twinnie' because I couldn't tell them apart. Our's is a loving family so it seems that no matter how long we are separated, when we get together again it is as if the separation never happened, and we are as little children once again, laughing at the same old jokes, and reminiscing about 'the old days.'

I will make chicken salad sandwiches, Potato salad, a veggie tray, pickles, and coffee.
For dessert I will make a Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler. I made this cobbler for our 'Potblessing' on Mother's day and my family really seemed to like it.
Here is my recipe, so you can try it too.

Mama's Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
4 cups rhubarb cut in 1/2 inch pieces
3 or 4 cups strawberries cut in quarters
1 & 1/2 to 2 cups sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
4 tablespoons corn starch
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring
Topping
1 yellow cake mix
2-3 eggs
1 1/4 cup water

Place the rhubarb in a large kettle with just enough water to cover. Simmer about five minutes until it just begins to tender. (don't over cook) Add, berries, and food coloring. Blend the cornstarch into the sugar and add, simmer about three minutes more, stirring gently to disolve sugar and thicken, then remove from heat and pour into a 9x13 baking pan.
Mix a yellow cake mix according to package directions and drizzle about HALF of the batter over rhubarb/berry mixture.
Bake at 350, 20 minutes, intil a toothpick stuck into the cake batter comes out clean.
This is nice with whipped or ice cream.

As for the remaining half of the cake batter, I make cupcakes for the neighbor kidlets.