Holy Tornado

To see the soul of your comrade listen carefully to his music.

Monday, May 30, 2005

THE PAINTED LADY

When cutting the grass in my back yard earlier this spring, I left a patch of Dame's Rocket, which is considered an invasive weed by some. My sisters and I used to pick bouquets if this mildly fragrant wild flower for our Mother.
Last week we had some pretty warm temp's, and one afternoon when I took my puppy's out for a potty break, I noticed a large group of butterflies all over these flowers.
I managed to take several photos, even though the wings are a bit ragged you can still see the exquisite beauty of this dear little creation.
A hint: when photographing Butterflies, they will fly away when you approach, but if you stand still they will return within a few minutes. Move slowly and pray for the Lord to make them hold still.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Butterflies are solar-powered! They need the sun to fly.

Male Painted Ladies have smaller abdomens than females.

Favorite butterfly flowers are aster, cosmos, thistle, and buttonbush.

Butterflies are diurnal (active during the day).

Painted Lady Butterflies see more patterns, a wider range of color, and more shades of green than people do.

The tiny scales attached to butterfly wings give the wings their color.

Butterflies have taste sensors on their legs.

The Painted Lady is probably the most widespread butterfly in the world.
It has a 2-week life span. During that time, its main goal is to reproduce and lay eggs so the cycle can begin again!