Holy Tornado

To see the soul of your comrade listen carefully to his music.

Friday, April 29, 2005

Not All Roses And Violets In My Garden

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I found this mass of tent caterpillars in my Fugi Apple Tree today, and watched a hornet carry off one of the occupants. After taking a few pictures, I cut the branches off and got rid of them. When I was done I felt like I had them crawling all over me.

Back in the 60's my little son liked to play with these little ‘friends.’ I had no idea what all he was doing with them until one day I went to the basement to get something from the freezer, and found dozens of them frozen all over the interior of the freezer. When I asked Mike about it, his reply shouldn’t have surprised me. He said he was saving them so he could play with them later.

Tent caterpillars are a serious nuisance in western Washington. Periodic outbreaks result in masses of unsightly tents in trees, defoliation of deciduous trees, and a high level of aggravation for people trying to control the wriggling masses of larvae. These caterpillars attack a wide variety of plants. Their preferred hosts are alder, apple, ash, birch, cherry, cottonwood, willow, fruit trees, and roses. During heavy infestations, the tent caterpillars will migrate and feed on many other plants.

Trees infested with several tents are often totally defoliated. A single occurrence rarely kills a tree, but it does reduce growth and makes the tree more susceptible to other hazards such as drought, freezing, or disease. A healthy tree which has been attacked, will usually grow new leaves by midsummer