Holy Tornado

To see the soul of your comrade listen carefully to his music.

Friday, April 15, 2005

Mrs. Robin Moves In

About a week ago while at my computer, I looked out my front window and saw a robin sitting in my flowering cherry tree, with a beak full of dry grass. I assumed she was making a nest in the woods behind my house.
About four days later I found that she had built a nest on top of a wreath hanging on my front deck. It was too high for me to peek inside to see if she had laid any eggs, so I got a hand mirror, held it over top of the nest and found two pretty blue eggs.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It wasnt until I was viewing these photos on my monitor that I realized how meticulously she had built her nest.
Notice the foundation is constructed of light colored, larger, stronger twigs and vines, and the darker colored wall of the nest is reinforced with mud. It seems she is partial to Adobe Hacienda's.
Now look at the interior of her babies bed and see the fine, soft grass she chose so her eggs and later fledglings, would be kept warm and not be stabbed by the sharper twigs.
Each layer of her nest is wrapped and carefully woven for strength.
The female robin normally takes five to seven days to build her nest, however if the weather is bad it can take two weeks. Early in the season she will spend 75 to 80 % of a day brooding (sitting on her eggs) Later when the temperature is warmer she will brood 60 to 70 % of each day.
There is a two week incubation period before the fledglings hatch. The female generally is on the nest but sometimes the male will take over the brooding duties and give mom a break. When the female is out grubbing, the male is in a tree close by, watching over the nest, and giving warnings if he feels his nest is threatened in any way.
After hatching, the babies stay in the nest for about 15 days receiving around one hundred meals a day, usually worms and grubs.
When the fledglings leave the nest, the female begins the process over again throughout the spring and summer.
Robins have a beautiful song, which makes their voracious appetite for my berry patches, a little more tolerable.
Go here to hear the various Robin songs