Holy Tornado

To see the soul of your comrade listen carefully to his music.

Friday, April 08, 2005

MEME FUN

This is a meme going around which I volunteered to do for Patty’Jo. It’s purpose? Just to know more about our blog friends I guess. Anyhow it sounds like fun to me, so here goes!
Here are the rules for the “Five Questions” meme.
1. Leave me a comment saying “interview me”. The first five commenters will be the Participants.

2. I will respond by asking you five questions.

3. You will update your blog/site with the answers to the questions.

4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same Post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.
(Write your own or borrow some.)

The following are questions Patty-Jo asked me:

1. Do you have any collections? What do you like to collect? Why?

I collect music boxes because when I was in grade school our class had a field trip to the museum, which had a magnificent exhibition of them, some of which were played for us. I especially remember one about two or three feet square, which played a huge gold colored disc which resembled uncle Clint’s buzz saw blade. The music was a magnificent waltz. I was totally captivated.
I collect dolls probably for several reasons. Until I was 12, I got a new one each Christmas, and loved them all. In her later years, my mother loved and collected every doll she could find at yard sales, second hand stores, anyplace. I think she may have even ‘borrowed’ a few from her grand and great grandchildren. She left a large collection, some of which I purchased from her second husband. I enjoy making clothes for them, and watching my great granddaughters play with them.
I also collect fabric, just so I will have it when I need it and many other things I guess I am a collector in general!

2. What motivates you in your passion for genealogy?

Just about anything and everything. A breakthrough on a difficult line is probably the best motivation. Finding someone else who is interested to share with, or finding an old photo with a familiar name or no name.
3. How did you learn about Jesus.

I think I was born knowing about Jesus. I can’t remember a time I didn’t know and believe in God and His Son. There have been times when I was drawn closer to the Lord and times of rededication. Grandma Ferris was my mentor. She taught us that God is love and showed us through her example exactly what that love meant. Since I have gotten older and developed a personal relationship with the Lord, I have a much better understanding of Him and his gifts.

4. When and how did your love of gardening begin?

As a child, we often visited my grandma Banks and my aunties who all had flower gardens. I loved to sit in the tall hollyhocks and watch the bees fly from one blossom to the next. To me it was a magical place where everything was peaceful and beautiful. In the house, the big people talked of war and bombs and soldiers dying. Flower gardens were a better place for a young child who was not equipped to deal with the terrors of war and other adult conversation. When I was five I began to help mom and our neighbors plant victory gardens and got pretty good at it, but even then I wanted to plant hollyhocks in the lettuce patch.

5. After religion, what do you think is the most important thing parents should teach their children?
I believe children, even babies, should be taught to honor and respect their elders. (I’m not talking about pervert elders, although I do believe we should pray for them). I believe that if children are not taught to honor and respect their elders, they never learn to honor their creator. I also believe that if we as parents don’t honor our elders we cannot teach our children to. They definitely learn by our example. Actually I believe honor and respect should be taught ‘with’ religion. I think they go together.