Holy Tornado

To see the soul of your comrade listen carefully to his music.

Friday, April 01, 2005

Another Passion

Does anyone out there in the blog world have an interest in genealogy, or am I alone in my quest for ancestors?
I was born curious about those who came before me but it wasn’t until my children were all raised that I had time to pursue this burning curiosity.

I began by questioning all my aunts and uncles until they took to hiding when they saw me coming. I filled dozens of notebooks and cassette tapes, thousands of paper scraps, grocery receipts, napkins, and you name it with scribbled notes, hoping that someday I would be able to put it all together and make some kind of sense out of it.

Then one day, my son brought me a computer and taught me some of the things I could do with it. The first lesson was ‘Google Search.’ I didn’t learn much more for quite some time because I found that I could type in the name of an ancestor and occasionally that ancestors entire genealogy with sources was available to me. Did you ever feel like you had conquered a new world? I think it must feel like I do when I make a discovery like that.

Next, my son brought me a Family Tree Maker program. OH MY GOSH!!! Heaven Happened that day! I have thousands of ancestors names and lots of interesting facts about them in my FTM now, including English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, French, Italian, German, Dutch, and at least two different Native American Tribes, and this is just the tip of the iceberg!

I have been seriously researching for about 13 years and have learned more about my ancestors than my grandparents ever knew. And I’m sure, some things they wouldn’t want to know.
I love mysteries!