Holy Tornado

To see the soul of your comrade listen carefully to his music.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Generations



As I see the thousands of different toys and games available to my grand and great grandchildren today, I am really amazed at the wide variety of entertainment our children have. There are even many stores that sell nothing but toys!
There are TV games galore, Gameboy, X-Box, and Playstation, just to name a few. Computer games, Transformers, motorized scooters, remote control toys and ugly dolls, you name it and it is probably out there.

My children watched very little TV, had banana seat bikes with sissy bars, Color books, Barbi & Midge dolls and electric trains. They made their own stilts, and dug their own swimming pool. They made a lot of their own fun simply by being creative. I believe they were happy.
I taught my children that taking a walk in the woods becomes an expedition with Lewis and Clark and if we take a sandwich, it becomes a picnic with the pioneers. Running in tall grassy fields and picking canning jars full of buttercups and daisies makes mommy smile. They learned that chasing the calves teaches the calves to chase you when they have grown in to one thousand pound beasts.

When I was a little girl my sisters and I would sit on the floor in front of the tall radio-phonograph combination and listen to programs like, Sergeant Preston Of The Yukon, Inner Sanctum Mysteries, The Shadow and The Whistler, Henry Aldrich and The Lone Ranger. No form of profanity was ever heard and the word ‘sex’ was never spoken. We didn’t know what it was anyway. We were taught the three R’s at school. We were taught about sex being a Godly plan for our life by our parents when we were at an appropriate age.
I got a new doll every Christmas until I was twelve, as well as color books and crayons.
In the wintertime, comic books were our main entertainment until dad built us a sled. We rarely received any of the small variety of toys that were sold at the Five & Dime or Sears Roebuck catalog, which had pictures of beautiful dolls and wheeled toys. These gifts were only for Christmas or birthday's.

When the warmer months came, we could be found playing hopscotch on the sidewalk beside the road. We used a soft rock to scrape Hopscotch squares on the cement, and then found a flat rock to use for throwing .
When mother used up a spool of thread, the empty spool became our new bubble pipe. We would set a bar of soap in a saucer with a little water then dip the end of the spool into the water and rub it over the soap. By blowing into the opposite end we made many colorful bubbles. If we blew on the wrong end we got soap in our mouth. We learned to pay attention to what we were doing.
We cut paper dolls from newspaper and made mud pies. We raised frogs from tadpoles in mother's wash-tub, and swung from a huge rope dad tied to a Maple branch for us.

We played Kick-The-Can, Red Rover, Tug Of War and baseball. We Jumped rope with a hundred different chants like, Fudge-Fudge Tell the judge, Icca-Bacca, and Red Hot Pepper.
Hide And Seek was especially fun on summer nights. The tall grass in the fields hid us well and we could scare the ‘seeker’ out of his wits by grabbing his leg as he blindly crept beside us. I can still hear his shriek and the laughter it brought from all the hiding places.

I had not heard of television and first saw it as a young teen at the neighbors on a tiny screen. The picture was so snowy we could barely make it out but we were fascinated just the same.
I did my homework because I respected my teachers, and household chores because I loved my parents.
I had a wonderful time growing up and the lack of ‘store-bought’ junk, taught me to use my imagination, and enjoy the simpler and more important things in life.

Experience was our teacher and the back yard was our playground. Life was simpler. We were happy